What To Do After an accident

Do you know?



"If emergency services are not immediately required then you must determine if it is necessary to have police attend the scene."


You've been in an accident, what now?

All information taken from Waterloo Regional Police website and accurate at the time of publication (October 2019).

Being in an accident, even a small one can be stressful and confusing.  There is often a lot going on and many things need to happen all at once.  
The best way to deal with a situation like that is to be prepared and know what needs to be done in case of an accident.  

To help you be prepared we have complied a list of steps you should take in the event of a car accident, according to the Waterloo Regional Police Service.  

"All collisions that involve injury, death, or where damage apparently exceeds $2000 (combined), or damage to highway property must be reported." 

1. If emergency services are not immediately required then you must determine if it is necessary to have police attend the scene.  

If your accident DOES NOT involve any of the following circumstances then you DO NOT have to call the police and instead can go directly to a Collision Reporting Centre (locations below).  

 Report a collision to a Collision Reporting Centre providing it DOES NOT involve:

  • Personal injury or death;
  • Any criminal activity, such as an impaired driver, stolen vehicles, assaults
  • A government vehicle of any kind, including taxi cabs;
  • A vehicle transporting dangerous goods;
  • A person who's drivers licence is suspended or is not insured;
  • Damage to private, municipal or highway property;
  • A pedestrian or cyclist;
  • An uncooperative driver

If any of the above circumstances exist, an officer should attend the scene. Call 911 for emergencies, or 519-570-9777 (WRPS) for non-emergency situations.

"The Highway Traffic Act of Ontario requires that all collisions involving injury or death, or where the damage apparently exceeds $2,000.00 (combined) or where there is damage to highway property must be reported to the police forthwith.”

Any person who has been involved in a collision who fails to attend at the Centre when directed by a police officer or when otherwise required by law is guilty of an offence. 

2. If it is safe to do so, remove the vehicle(s) from the roadway. If any vehicle cannot be moved or it is not safe to move it, call the police and await further instructions.

3. Exchange information with the other driver(s). Ensure you gather as much information about the other driver and any available witnesses, including name, address, home and business phone numbers, vehicle information and insurance information.

4. As soon as possible, attend the Centre with your vehicle during operating hours. If your vehicle is being towed, it must be taken directly to the Maple Grove Road Reporting Centre, without receiving any repairs or alterations.   Under no circumstance will vehicles be stored at the Centre.  Bring your drivers licence, the vehicle permit and insurance slip with you to the Centre.

If your vehicle is not drivable, remain at the scene.  Contact police dispatch for further direction.  If your Hyundai has Roadside Assistance Coverage you can reach them 24 hours a day in Canada and the US at 1-800-268-9958.  

There are 2 regional locations available for Collision Reporting: 

Cambridge Collision Reporting Centre

150 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge, Ontario, between Police Headquarters and Regional Emergency Medical Services.

Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Waterloo Collision Reporting Centre

45 Columbia St. E, Waterloo Ontario

Monday to Friday, 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. 

For more information you can visit the Waterloo Regional Police website https://www.wrps.on.ca/en/services-reporting/collision-reporting.aspx